March 22nd
National Poison Prevention Week: Keeping Your Pet Safe

The National Poison Prevention Week is an important time to focus on the dangers of toxic substances to our pets. As a pet owner, it's crucial to be aware of the various hazards that may be present in your home and take measures to prevent your pets from coming into contact with them.

How to keep your pets’ safe?

Store hazardous substances out of reach: Keep cleaning products, medications, and other toxic substances in secure cabinets or high shelves where your pets can't access them.

Keep food out of reach: Certain foods, such as chocolate, grapes, and onions, can be toxic to pets. Be sure to store food in sealed containers and keep it out of reach of your pets.

Be careful with plants: Many common houseplants, such as lilies, philodendrons, and pothos, are toxic to pets. Make sure to keep these plants out of reach of your pets or consider using non-toxic alternatives.

Dispose of hazardous waste properly: When disposing of hazardous waste, such as batteries or light bulbs, make sure to dispose of them in a safe and appropriate manner, so that your pets can't come into contact with them.

Watch for signs of poisoning: If you suspect that your pet has ingested something toxic, watch for symptoms listed below and seek immediate veterinary care if you notice any of these signs.

Symptoms to looks out for!

The below listed symptoms are only a few signs of poisoning. There may be other symptoms depending on the substance that has been ingested.  

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea or bloody stool
  • Excessive urination
  • Seizures
  • Nosebleeds
  • Loss of appetite
  • Unusual behavior
  • Dizziness
  • Loss of coordination
  • Lethargy
  • Unusual breathing patterns or heartbeat

Remember, prevention is key when it comes to keeping your furry friends healthy and happy. Let’s begin by making our homes as safe as possible for our furry family members.